The short films at the César, how does it work ?
Short films eligible for the César for Best Short Film and the César for Best Animation (Short Film) must complete the following criteria:
- the total duration of the film is strictly less than 60 minutes;
- the share of French production is bigger than or equal to 30% of total production;
- the operating visa was issued by the CNC “Commission de Classification des Œuvres Cinématographiques” between July 1 and June 30 of the year preceding the Ceremony (example: for the César 2020, the film’s visa must have been issued between July 1, 2019 and June 30, 2020).
Each year, the Academy sets up a Short Film Committee and an Animation Committee in charge of selecting the films for the Official Selections, among the short films that meet the eligibility criteria.
24 films are selected by the Short Film Committee and 12 animation films by the Animation Committee. The films were announced by the Academy on Wednesday, November 25, 2020.
These two committees choose from among all the short films that have received a visa from the CNC between July 1st and June 30th of the year preceding the Ceremony, the films that will compete for the César for Best Short Film and for the César for Best Animated Film (Short Film).
The Short Film Committee is composed of personalities from the short film industry in France who, through their professional activity, watch a large number of short films. It selects 24 of them.
The Animation Committee is composed of personalities from the animation industry in France who, because of their professional activity, view a large number of animated shorts. It selects 12 of them.
The 36 short films selected by the Committees are submitted to the vote of the members of the Académie des César.
At the end of the first round of voting :
– 5 films, among the 24 chosen by the Short Film Committee, counting the highest number of votes, are nominated for the César for Best Short Film.
– 4 animated films, among the 12 chosen by the Animation Committee, with the highest number of votes, are nominated for the César for Best Animated Film (Short Film).
The 9 films will be announced at the Nominations Press Conference on February 10, 2021.
A second round of voting allows the members of the Academy to choose, among the 5 short films nominated, the one that will receive the César for Best Short Film, and among the 4 animated short films, the one that will receive the César for Best Animated Film (Short Film).
The winners are announced during the César Ceremony.
How to see the winning films?
Every year in June, the Academy organizes the Golden Nights, a program that gathers short films awarded by film academies around the world, including the two short films awarded at the César Awards.
For more information on the short film selection process and more details on the rules, download :